Friday, September 2, 2011

What do you do?

As I was eating lunch the other day at Don Juans on the square with my family for lunch I ran into the parents of an old friend from High School. We exchanged the typical pleasantries and then they proceeded to dote on their kids accomplishments, like most parent's do. I found out that my old friend just got married, spent a month traveling Europe for her honeymoon and will now be starting her new job as an optometrist, oh and her husband is one too. So it's Dr. and Dr. so and so.

At first I was jealous. Wow, I want to travel Europe for a month! Then I was feeling a little self-pity. At the age of 27 she is already a doctor and what have I accomplished in my life? A Marketing degree which qualifies you for everything and nothing at the same time. Quite the conundrum.

I have always been a little envious of people with a professional degree, you know the lawyer, doctor, accountant, engineer etc. Mainly because when people ask you what you do you can just say, "I am an accountant, or I am a lawyer. When people ask me what I do, I need 15 minutes of their time to explain it all!

However, then it hit me, I don't want to be described in just one word. Just like Alanis, I am all types of things, a little bit of everything all rolled into one. I am an interior decorator, photographer, entrepreneur, baker, marketing master, stylist and writer(blog world of course). I love all the things I get to do and wouldn't change a thing. It would just be nice to answer that small talk question with a simple answer, but let's face it, I am not a simple person!

Do you ever feel this way?
~Jessica


1 comments:

Vanessa McKellar said...

I'm surprised you felt that way! I think being self employed with a job (or jobs) in the creative field is sooo much neater than one of those official degree jobs. My sister is a doctor and I've never once felt like I'd rather do what she's doing. Embrace it, Girl! :)

Post a Comment